February 1965. Harold Martin and Bob Davis established Davis-Martin Inc., engaged in a general practice of Engineering, Land Planning and Surveying for local government and private developers throughout the state of North Carolina.
Mr. Harold L. Martin, a civil engineer and land surveyor, headed the engineering efforts. Over time he focused predominantly on commercial and residential development, and directed the Land Planning and Land Development. Mr. Martin led major urban renewal and community development programs, recreation facilities, street and highway programs, utility systems and site-grading for major residential subdivisions, apartment complexes and industrial developments. Mr. Martin served as President from 1965 until his retirement in 1996.
Mr. Davis, with a background in Construction Administration and land surveying, directed all surveying efforts for the new firm. Under Mr. Davis’s direction, the firm surveyed over 30,000 individual projects ranging from simple lot surveys, 150 lot residential subdivisions, 1000+ acre boundary surveys, sedimentation surveys of various 500+ acre lakes, etc. Mr. Davis also led projects for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, U.S. Forest Service, and began long term relationship with Carolina Power & Light (now Duke Energy). Mr. Davis served as President from 1996 until his retirement in 2002.
1971, the firm was renamed Davis-Martin and Associates, Inc.
Charles “Ed” Powell, a civil engineer and land surveyor, joined the firm in 1971. Mr. Powell focused predominantly on the Municipal Engineering clientele, and increased the firm’s presence in the water and wastewater treatment market with several major projects funded the EPA Clean Water Act. Mr. Powell was named as a partner in 1974, and served as President from 2002 until his retirement in 2010.
In 1979, the firm was renamed Davis • Martin • Powell and Associates, Inc.